Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Becoming a mother of twins

Honestly, the idea of becoming a mother of twins is somewhat terrifying. Especially knowing that I have a very loved (that's a good word for spoiled, right?) 2 1/2 year old. I worry about the adjustment for him and what it will do to the sweet little boy that he is.


We tried for over 2 years for Doodle before we were blessed with him and he has been the biggest blessing we have ever received. He is loved so much by not only us, but by our families. These two blessings will definitely rain on his parade. He is so used to having both of us and while I know that 1 sibling would have been an adjustment, I know 2 will be especially hard.


Not only am I worried about Doodle's reaction and having enough time to still make him feel special and loved, I also worry about  many other things, such as breastfeeding. Nursing is a commitment. It really is, there is no sugar coating it. I remember it making me nearly crazy with Doodle. I was constantly stressed about my milk supply. Is he getting enough, is day care over feeding him, they better not have thrown out any of my golden milk= translation, am I a good enough mother?


I can only imagine what this will be like when I am trying to provide for 2. I have read horror stories online about mothers who are nursing 24/7. Constantly pumping and having a baby at the breast. How does this work when you have a toddler who also needs your attention? Where is the balance?


Now I realize all of this will come together, we will adjust, Doodle will adjust and if nursing doesn't work out this time, it doesn't work out. However, even with these realizations in mind, the build up to it is a bit overwhelming.


Breastfeeding and having enough love to go around are only a few of the worries. Scheduling/routines, childcare bills, recovering from a likely c-section, sleep, and keeping a happy marriage are all worries that come to mind. People with negative attitudes/comments are not helpful. My husband and I are both sick of hearing from others how hard it is going to be: "TWINS, oh my gosh you will have your hands full", "better you than me", "your going to be so busy". Seriously, shove it! Didn't your mother teach you "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all". We realize it is going to be tough, we realize it is going to be a change; we didn't expect twins, but really we are both quite capable, and will be fine. Rather than giving us more discouragement, spend sometime giving us encouragement and support, that is what we need.


I know these frustrations are felt by many more mothers of multiples and I know everything will be just fine. I just want to encourage those of you reading out there to think before you speak. Pregnant mommies are sensitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment